Monday, June 9, 2008

Clint's accident. (Edited to add...)

I think between my posts on Babycenter and my private board most everyone already knows about Clint's accident, but I never really updated. I need to blog about it anyway because I don't keep a regular journal.

Clint and his co-driver were in a truck accident last Wednesday morning. They were driving back from Oregon and were about 20 miles north of Ely, NV when it happened. Clint was asleep in the sleeper and Jim was driving. They were on a two lane highway. An oncoming car passed them and Jim watched it in his side mirror. When he looked ahead again, another oncoming car was veering into his lane. The driver had fallen asleep. Jim swirved to the left, but unfortunately still hit the front passenger side of the SUV. The truck ended up on its side and the car rolled and finally came to a rest 200 yards away. There were five passengers: a man, a woman, and three children (two carseat aged, and one 13 or 14 year old boy). The man and woman were both killed, but the kids were all ok. We initially thought the adults were the mother and father of the kids, but that was only partially true. The man was the father of the two small children, and the oldest boy was his nephew. The woman was the man's girlfriend.

It was the one time that Clint wasn't wearing his sleeper belt. He landed up front in between the two front seats with a few scratches. By the time he really understood what was going on, it was all over. It happened very fast. He stayed in the truck and called 911 and company dispatch, while Jim got out and ran to the other car. Several minutes later when Clint was finally able to get off the phone, he got out of the truck. There were a TON of people all around the car helping, so he stayed with the truck, so as not to be in the way.

Everyone keeps asking how he's handling it. He's doing rather well. He actually feels bad and hopes that no one thinks he's insensitive because he's NOT struggling. The fact of the matter is that aside from being in the truck at the time of the accident, he was detached from the situation. He didn't see it happen, and he didn't go to the other vehicle. I'm actually really thankful for that. If he had been the one driving, or even awake to see it when it happened, I know he'd be an emotional wreck, or maybe even seriously hurt, since the passenger side was where it hit and also the side the truck tipped over on.

When I got the first phone call from him explaining very matter-of-factly what happened, I was in shock. The second call was a bit more personal and detailed, and that is when I lost it. I was flooded with many different emotions: stress, joy, and sorrow. My chest was so tight and I fought an anxiety attack all day. I was so thankful that I still had my husband and he was not hurt. I was deeply saddened for the people that lost their lives and their families that probably hadn't even yet heard the news.

Everyday I think about those two people. I wonder what their stories were. I think about their families and pray that they find comfort.

**Additive** I talked to Clint tonight. He's having a hard time sleeping in the truck. He said that at every bump, noise, or slightly stronger than normal brake, he wakes up grabbing for a hold.

5 comments:

Carrie said...

I'm glad you posted about this. I've been wondering how you've been, and I was going to shoot you an e-mail. I'm so very glad Clint wasn't hurt, and you know....as a wife, I can totally understand this accident having a lasting affect on you. Clint was at arms length from death, where children were separated from their father. It's such a tragic thing to be so close to and actually INVOLVED in. I know if I were in your shoes, I'd have the same feelings you do, and I'd be thinking about those kids on a daily basis too. It's a hard thing to deal with.

Lacey said...

Thanks, Carrie.

camille said...

Thank you for the update Lacey. I have really been wondering what the story was, but I did not want to push it too much, ya know.

btw, I like the new diggs of your blog! =)

Lacey said...

Hey, thanks!!

mushbelly said...

I'm so glad that Clint is ok. How scary!