I have SO missed "the moment" in posting this, but I'll post anyway. You know, for posterity.
On April 1st, 2009, my poor husband fell victim to another one of my dirty tricks. Let me preface with a little history. Towards the end of my first trimester, the ultrasound technician asked me to come in so she could perform a FREE ultrasound on me as part of a certificate she was working towards. Of course I was happy to oblige! Therefore, it wouldn't be completely inconceivable that she might happen to need my fetus' home again in the future, would it? Okay, fast forward to March 31st. I called Clint (who was out of town) and told him that Nan (the tech) had called me in for one of her "experiments" (as they've affectionately been dubbed), but that because it was so close to my regularly scheduled ultrasound date that I didn't want to see or know anything without my dear husband being there to basque in the moment with me. His response? "Why didn't you find out what we're having?! What if something happens and I can't be there for your regular appointment?" Hehehe, do you see where this is going?
The next day, April 1st, after Clint had gotten back in town, my wonderful doctor was all too happy to conspire with me and give Clint a little phone call. This is an approximation of that call:
[insert nifty ringtone here]
Clint: Hello?
Dr. Taylor: Clint, of all the days that I can't reach your wife on the phone, this is not a good day for her to not answer!
C: Why? What's going on?
Dr.: Well, I was looking over the ultrasound that Nan did on Lacey yesterday, and I found something that she missed in the previous ultrasounds.
C: (concerned) Okay...?
Dr.: There's another placenta, and another baby. You guys are having TWINS!!
C: (Voice shaking, but words of shock are unintelligible.)
Dr. Taylor then proceeded to use made-up medical terminology to further enhance his story (I swear, he had more fun with this than I did!). I should also tell you that Clint was over at his parents house when he received this call. Double whammy! Their conversation ended, and shortly thereafter my phone rang. Guess who?
Me: Hello?
Clint: Hey, have you gotten any phone calls?
M: Well, yeah, but I didn't recognize the number and I'm kind of busy so I didn't answer. Why? Who tried to call me?
C: Dr. Taylor. He couldn't reach you so he called me instead.
M: Okay, what's going on?
C: Well, he was looking at the u/s and found something.
M: Uh-huh...
C: ... ... ... ... (Trying to freak me out) Oh, I'll just tell you. We're having twins.
M: WHAT?!!
And then I hear his mom in the background: Make sure you tell her that this isn't an April Fool's prank and that the doctor really did just call.
C: What? (And then something clicked in his memory. Maybe the fact that two years ago on this day I was 34 weeks pregnant with Landon and "my water broke" from a well placed water balloon.) LACEY RAE!!! You're a turd!!!
By this point I was laughing uncontrollably.
Was it mean? Maybe. Hysterically classic? Absolutely. Is my husband the greatest sport ever? Oh yes, believe me, he is. And I'll tell you why. All along I thought that the news of twins would stress him out to no end. Oh no. He was EXCITED; elated even. So then I felt bad and spent the rest of the day apologizing (but still snickering). He forgave me, he still loves me, end of story.
P.S. Upon discovering his excitement over multiples, I asked him if that meant we could have another after this one. To which he replied, "I don't know about that. Two at once really leaves you with no choice. But I know one thing is for sure: If we do decide to have another one, I'm making DANG sure that you're not pregnant anywhere NEAR April!!!"
I love you, Babe!
9 comments:
ha.. I LOVE IT!
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I love that his mom was the one who gave it away ♥
thats too funny! LOL
Haha! That's awesome! I love it!
ROFL!!! Lacey, you're awesome!!!
Too funny! Good one, Lacey!
i laughed so hard I peed my pants. Thanks! Hey.... I will list prices and all the other stuff probably tomorrow. THe onesie dresses are going to be 15 I think. You can pick from the fabrics I have, I am going to post those as well. I am changing over to the rustic raspberry soon.... but it's the pickle for now. :o
Let me know if you want a dress. Barb
I still love this! And I'm TOTALLY taking credit for giving you the idea!!!!!! :)
LOL - seriously! That is HILARIOUS! I love it!
Post a Comment